Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"How I Met Your Mother" Is Ending. So Is My Childhood.

Look how young and hopeful they are.
(Source)
(SPOILERS AHEAD FOR SEASONS 1-9)

So I'll just say it.

I don't have lots of friends.

I have two people I'd call besties.

And both of them have been made in the last three years.

 And before that I had "How I Met Your Mother" (HIMYM). I know it must seem stupid, but HIMYM was my sports. It's what I did after school. It was a constant in my life when I had a monkey-butt load of other stuff going on.
And to this day, I am a walking, living, breathing, laughing, crying, HIMYM encyclopedia.

This is hard for me to write even. I don't like endings. I'm quite Finifugal. I'll probably watch the last six minutes of the last episode on repeat for the next 27 days. As the great prophet Chuck once said:
^ Word Y'all
(Source)
"Endings are hard. Any chapped-ass monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible. You try to tie up every loose end, but you never can. The fans are always gonna bitch. There's always gonna be holes. And since it's the ending, it's all supposed to add up to something. I'm telling you, they're a raging pain in the ass."
Carter Bays is doing a awesome job of tying up all the lose ends. We find out Blah-Blah's name (BTW Carol?!?!), the slap bet ends, and the mother draws closer and closer to Ted.

When I had a bad day, Ted and Robin's will-they-won't-they relationship made my stuff seem hopeful.


When my mom and dad would fight, Marshmallow and LillyPad made it seem like there was hope for them.

When I felt ugly, Barney hitting on some dumb floosy made it seem like there was hope for anyone.

For years HIMYM was the highlight of my day. A constant no matter what.  It was there every Monday like clockwork. But it's still ending. And I'm not happy. "How I Met Your Dad" might help bandage the sucking chest wound that is HIMYM ending. But it won't be the same.
 
Now it's nearly done.

And I'm crying.

And it's just closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment