Sunday, July 13, 2014

Here, Have Some Kool-Aid: Sherlock

(Source)
Welcome to the final "Here, Have Some Kool-Aid" post. Today we talk about converting your friends to the BBC Fandom life.

Sherlock can be one of the hardest shows to get your friends to watch. Because of its long episodes, short seasons, and the stigma that surrounds it, Sherlock can be intimidating for a new fanperson to take on. I've heard of people thinking that Moffat was a villain in the show. He might as well be, but still.


BBC Sherlock staring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is an entirely new beast. The RDJ movies, Elementary, and even House MD, are very different. There are similarities among these obviously, but it's the same story told a thousand different ways. And because of the vast and never-ending supply of variations, some people think, "You've seen one, you've seen 'em all."

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson are well know and beloved. And just like each Whovian has their Doctor, each Sherlock fan has their own Holmes & Watson combo. Mine is the BBC version, obviously. So when your showing your potential fanperson the show, think about that. Are you saying "Look at this new thing that you haven't seen before!" or "Let me show you a new version of something that you already love!"?

(Source)
As you may remember from my last two posts, (*cough cough Doctor Who and Supernatural cough cough*), I have repeatedly threatened to come through the computer and smack you with a rolled up newspaper and say, "Bad Fanling! No post for you!" if you skip seasons.

As Sherlock lacks the number of seasons and episodes that DW and SPN have, I shouldn't have to threaten. Just know the offer still stands if you skip.

As you know, on Sunday nights I post new installments of the various blog series I write. Well, right now I don't have any good ideas. Like none. So, I'm taking a little breather from the series-ing. But don't fret: I'll start back after I have a good idea. If you have something you wanna see, let me know.

I might need to make some room in my head for new ideas. Maybe I'll get rid of the solar system. That seems like a good idea. I mean, what does that matter? So we go around the sun! If we went around the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference! I hope someone got that reference and you all don't think I'm crazy. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment